Saturday, October 24, 2009

Snacking and the Evil Bagel

Hey Women!

It sounds like our fitness system is working out for people.  The points system provides a simple framework and you are all doing a nice job of filling it in with your favorite workouts and new activities.  Gooch and Jenn, great job getting the pilates class going!

Most of the feedback and questions I've gotten have been oriented to the nutrition aspect of staying fit and getting lean.  I wrote a post early on in the blog about some basic nutrition concepts, but lately the questions have been more oriented to identifying bad habits and healthy snack ideas.

Contrary to common sense, skipping meals is not an effective way to lose weight.  Although skipping a meal may decrease your overall calorie intake for the day, it also slows your metabolism (calorie conservation) and often stimulates poor eating later.

I am a case in point.  Often, on a busy work day, I can power right through lunch time without realizing that I'm missing a meal.  True - that's probably 300-500 calories I has planned to eat that I didn't.  But!  When I get home, hours later and famished, I start my progressive graze through the kitchen.  That grazing may just be a vegetable, a handful of nuts, a pickle...but those calories add up, and pile on top of what's coming for dinner.

What to do?  Plan ahead.  Yes, the solutions are often redundant from one post to the next.  Identify your weakness (grazing for me) and plan ahead for it.  Tempted by the treats in the break room at work? Keep a stash of healthier snacks st your desk.  Graze when you get home? Save a piece of fruit or a vegetable to eat just before you leave work or on the drive home so you are more full when you get there.

What's a healthy snack?  First and foremost - a small portion.  A bag of chips does not count!  Usually the bag of chips is too much, and obviously not god nutrition for the calories.  Instead, try a multigrain cracker or a cup of plain popcorn.  Have a sweet tooth?  Try a small handful each of raisins and raw almonds &/or walnuts.  Have a way to bring fresh food?  Prepare a bowl each of cut fruit and vegetables at home each week so you can grab a handful in a baggie to take with you.  Low fat string cheese is about 80 calories - a really sensible amount for a snack.  You get the idea.

Often we snack on (or eat) what's convenient. This is the 'evil bagel' part of the story.  Foods that are in units or pre-packaged are quick, easy and self-limiting.  That all seems great.  Geez - that bagel could even be whole grain (definitely better than white)!  The problem is that the bagel is more than one serving.  It's loaded with carbs, and not much else unless you add another topping (and more calories).  The average size bagel usually packs 300+ calories - 500-ish if it's got fruit or cheese in/on it.  Add some cream cheese or hummus to it and you're probably pushing 600 calories.  If you aim for a 1500-1800 calorie day, that could be a third of your intake!  Tough to stay on track that way, unless lunch and dinner are going to be really light.

Does all that mean no break room snacks and never another bagel?  Of course not.  It means, be aware!  Plan ahead.  Have the bagel on a day you got a morning work out and are planning to remain active.  Better yet, cut the bagel in half and enjoy it on two different days or share it with your workout partner.  :-)

Keep your thoughts and questions coming.  Most of all - keep up the good work.  We're putting up some points and that means there are a lot of dedicated and healthy Amazons out there!
Have a great weekend - Suz

3 comments:

  1. I mentioned I haven't been running thus not as much cardio as I used to get. However, I have been making the most of the stationary bike at the gym thanks to Susan pointing out that 15 min.increments are an effective way to do cardio. The bike/treadmill/stairmaster suck away my desire to workout, but thinking in 15 min. increments have made it manageable. I use it as my warm up to weights, sometimes bringing a hand weight to get some slow curls in, too. I'm pretty sure I look like a dork, but whatever. I am going to try my first run next week -- running again is my fitness goal. Back problems have prevented it, and I've been working on some very small, under-used back muscles, as well as posture issues to get back to running and here's the importance difference: without pain two days later. Yoga has been a lifesaver in terms of a new activity to keep my mind interested, and new things for my body to learn. I am hoping my hips get both more flexible and stronger in the off-season. I really like reading everyone's comments. I hope people keep adding them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anita, It took me about a week to figure out who beangrinder was. DUH! I too have found it very helpful to take my cardio in 15 minute increments. I usually ad 5 minutes at the begining and end of the 15 mintues to get to my THR. I have now spread them out through my work out. Sometimes with one at the beginning and end, with a 30 mminute circuit in between. I sweat like hell the whole hour! I luv hearing bout your challenges and strategies -- I luv this blog. - gooch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there team!!! It's me...PAULA! Sorry I missed you all today, had some personal stuff with the ex and his wife (ugh!) So, I'm a newbie yogi and am lovin it. Not too good with this bloggin stuff, however, I will try to keep up.

    ReplyDelete