What's up Amazons?
It looks like a few of you are really making some great changes and efforts for your health and fitness so far. What's happening with the rest of you Amazons? How's it?
Community can really help sustain motivation, so those of you toiling out there...join us! Make a comment. Answer a poll. Check out the links. You and your teammates will get a little push from exchanging thoughts.
Accountability is also a benefit of the blog. Goals are more likely met when you share your accountability to them with others. Gooch and EB are showing the way. Great job, women!
The rain is falling. Mornings and evenings are dark. The holidays are around the corner (WHAT? already?). Now is the time to get the good habits grooved to help get us through all those challenges.
Another possible use for the blog is to post Q & A. If you have a fitness or nutrition question you'd like an answer to, send it on. If I can't answer with good info, I'll check my reliable sources and find the answer. Let's see what we can come up with!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ok I arrived at 8 points last week! I dare all you other associate members to do this Off-season Fitness Challenge with me. We may not paddle but we can surely take advantage of this great system (thanks Suz) and who doesn't like to rack up points?!
ReplyDeleteOkay, I'll pose the 1st Q. If you pull a muscle should you try stretching or lay off it? I have pulled my piriformis and it is a pain in the Butt (literally.) I also have referred pain in the thigh and lower back but not too bad. I have been able to work out because jogging doesn't hurt and I combine it with killer abs and upper body. I'm avoiding anything that uses the glutes like stair-stepping, etc. It has improved over the last few days. The hardest thing is doing seated table stand like position when I put on my shoe. Should I be stretching it or layoff it?--gooch
ReplyDeleteGood question Gooch - and not always easy to answer generally. If the problem you are feeling is better with rest and worse with activity that stresses it, you are usually dealing with a straight musculoskeletal problem. Simple issues like that typically respond best to pain relief as needed (ice and anti-inflammatories), rest and gentle stretching. Presumably, the activities you can do without pain are not using that tissue and are fine for you to do while you heal. As the acuity of the injury subsides, gently and progressively stressing the tissue as it heals will stimulate it to heal stronger and more appropriately to the activities you want to do with it.
ReplyDeleteHi Guys! Sounds like everyone is being a little more consistant than me, but it motivates me! I'm going to step up and accept the challenge that Suz has given us. I'm pretty faithful when it comes to making it to the gym, but I eat like an oinker and it MUST STOP! Today begins my journey to the low fat side.
ReplyDeleteAll this working out gives me serious protein cravings. Suddenly steak & eggs is on bfast menu with salad and MEAT for dinner. Sugary/salty snacks + bread have gone out-the-window. So not like me. What's going on?
ReplyDeleteFeed what you need, Victoria. Your body is SMART and is asking you to fuel it properly for the activity you are asking it to do. Cool, huh? :-) Keep it rollin' - you're doing GREAT!
ReplyDeleteLast call for Amazon Pilates Class. For Amazons and their partners. The class is with with Kate Jobe (www.katejobe.com), with a focus on strength training and injury prevention/treatment.
ReplyDeleteWednesday: 6-7pm at Kate's studio in NE PDX, near Interstate and the Broadway Bridge.
Must sign up for 6 week session beginning Wednesday October 28th.
Cost: Less than $10/class and less than $50 for the entire session. Total is dependant on how many Amazons sign up. There are currently 9 signed up.
To register contact Jenn Cohen (zenkoan@comcast.net) or 503.332.5564
Amazon Pilates class is full and closed. -gooch
ReplyDeleteHi everyone! I can't seem to get my hammies to make much progress, unless I'm soaking in a hot bath that is. Will they ever get looser? I like working my legs (and upper body too) HARD, I like things to be a little sore the next couple days, so I feel really strong, just not flexable. I've tried yoga, but end up dreading the class so I decided not to include it. Is there a secret to flexablility?
ReplyDeleteHey Pammy,
ReplyDeleteSecret to flexibility...sex, sex & more sex :-) Arrhh my 3 favorite things: hard workouts, eating meat and soaking in a hot tub. Seriously though I'm in the same boat w/the stretching. I'm gonna grab free yoga video podcasts at
www.yogamazing.com
Chantel just got me a dohickey connecting ipod to TV. Now we have a private yoga studio at home.
Good luck on those hard hammies.
I was/am dealing with the reverse issue of tight hamstrings - tight quads and hip flexors. I started doing stretches for these muscles that were not easy to cheat on, so that I could truly measure my progress. For example, instead of doing a standing quad stretch, I lie on the floor face down and bend my knee to grab my foot/ankle, all while keeping my hips on the floor. I have seen progress as I do the stretch almost daily. Some of the progress took awhile, but I've been diligent and have seen a difference. Previously I thought my quads were pretty flexible, until I was told to do the stretch this way and was really challenged by it. Susan is a much better resource for stretches than me, but I like hamstring stretches done on the floor, such as this one: sit with legs straight in front of you, bring left foot to the inside of your right thigh to form the number 4. Engage your core. Raise your arms above your head, clasping your hands. Biceps next to your ears (as much as you can). Relax your shoulders away from your ears, now HINGE from your hips forward toward your outstretched leg. Don't let your arms move from the side of your head. By keeping your core engaged and your arms next to your ears, the stretch should be coming from your hamstring. Lots of people will round their back thinking the goal is to put their face to their leg, rather than to isolate the stretch in their hamstring. If you do this stretch in the same place, find a marker so you can measure the progress you are making so that it will motivate you to keep doing it.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tip on stretching my hamstrings Anita, but when I get in that position I can hardly move... in any direction. Is there a hamstring stretch on the ball that I can do?
ReplyDeleteI don't know of a hamstring stretch on a ball, but if your hammies are that tight, what about an assisted hamstring stretch using a rope or a belt? Wrap the rope or belt around one foot. Lay flat on the ground with your back straight and legs extended. Raise the leg that is wrapped into the air while keeping the leg straight. Pull on the rope or belt so that your toes bend toward your face. You should feel a stretch on your tight hamstring. If you are not feeling the stretch, pull harder and raise your leg higher. Hold the stretch for 10 seconds then relax. Repeat at least 3 times then switch legs. Tight muscles are hard, I know. You should see what happens when I'm in yoga and there is anything involving flexibility of the hip flexor!
ReplyDelete