Friday, December 18, 2009

Got 5 minutes?

Any guesses what the #1 excuse is for not exercising?  I don't have any studies to prove it, but I'm going to bet it's "I don't have time."  There's no question we are all busy!  I have a counter-point for that excuse though...something is always better than nothing.

How long can you do sit ups before you have to rest?  Try it.  For most of us, 1 min straight of doing sit ups is probably a challenge. (I think I should drop and try it right now)
How long do you hold a stretch?  Guessing...30 sec probably feels like a good long stretch for most of us.

So, let's go back to thinking about your busy day.  Think of your busiest recent day.  Did you wast 5 min at some point in that day?  Sit down to read your mail?  Watch part of the news?  Chat with a friend?  Daydream?  Did you spend 5 minutes waiting for something?  Water to boil?  The water to get hot in the shower (OK - I hope that doesn't take 5 min)?  You get the point right?

Now, imagine taking 5 of those 'wasted' minutes and exercising during them.  That's 10 solid, 30-second stretches. 4-5 good sets of sit ups.  A ton of push ups.  Enough lunges or sit-to-stands (squats) to make your quads burn.  Surely, enough exercise to be worth it.

Just 5 min....is always better than nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment